StorySpot was initially my blue sky project which I revisited and worked further on later.
During the class, I was given a task to work on anything that I like for a week - and the topic that I chose to work on was community.
In this project, I wanted to create a platform that could battle against the individualism.
We exchanged goods in person, played games in the field, helped one another during the hard times, and had many small talks.
Nowadays, we don't know who's living nearby. We don't know what's going on in the community other than hearing/seeing the news from the mass media.
Is this the world we all wish to live in? What if our world could become much warmer?
If I were to explain briefly, I would say StorySpot is like an online bulletin board - just a little different from the old community boards in that it has the GPS built in.
We live in a culture that celebrates individualism, encourages the pursuit of personal profit, and emphasizes the moral worth of the individual.
Do you know your neighbors? Do you talk to anyone in your community who lives nearby? Do you find no value in these questions?
StorySpot allows users to give away items that they no longer use, exchange goods, spread important news, share fun stories or worries - simply help one another in many ways.
During the interviews, privacy issue was frequently brought up.
I received several ideas and feedback from the interviews and in the end, I chose to add a 500m range system into StorySpot to protect the privacy.
What is and why '500m range'?
Why stories by location?
Because users can only write stories at their current location, you know that the story is valid on that location and is more reliable - whereas if GPS is not built in, people can write assumptions, outdated, or incorrect information on a chosen location.
I asked 5 questions:
I received a lot of feedback that people often find events, news, and announcements from posters and pamphlets posted on the bulletin board.
This is the moment that I thought that it'd be useful to have an online bulletin board.
After gathering ideas, I narrowed down my project scope to mainly focus in the community board - a common online bulletin board that many of us are familiar with.
After collecting and summarizing the findings, I created two personas to reflect the possible users.
I did card sortings with 9 participants to narrow down the scope and also come up with the list of the features and the possible information architecture.
I did two separate card sorting exercises:
As soon as I came up with a few wireframe sketches, I did user testings right away to bring in more ideas, receive feedback, and do iterations more effectively.
At some point, I realized that there are too many different ways to arrange my contents and features. To choose the most effective layout, I explored different userflows (resulted from different possible layouts).
I experimented on creating different layouts by using:
In this case study, I learned to optimize the user experience by providing the
In the midst of the study, I realized that there are so many different ways to arrange the contents and features and I really struggled to create a layout that is not only simple and easy to use but also efficient. I made sure that users can use this platform with a few clicks and with no confusion.
To find the most efficient layout, I ended up experimenting a lot of times and the result is- I think I now have a better understanding in the layout system and can construct the whole system and possible interactions more effectively.
I learned to consider the mobile and desktop experience separate from one another, and yet still connect them together to provide a consistent experience across different devices.